Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Colonoscopies are FUN!

Are any of you approaching 50? I just found out at my last physical that once you turn this age a colonoscopy is recommended every 10 years. Just so you know, when your Dr says this you want to be happy about it. I never knew this and spent all last week practicing in my mind how to be "grace under fire" aka not be a big baby and make a fool of myself. Well, my appointment was yesterday and I am here to tell you that I am looking forward to my next one in 10 years!!! First of all the Fleet Phospho-Soda Ginger Lemon compared to the old caster oil stuff we used to have to take for a "cleaning" was a breeze. Unexpectantly though the procedure was absolutely WONDERFUL. When I woke up from the sedative I felt as if I had just had the best nap of my life. I was able to get dressed right away , walk ( float) right out of there and go out to dinner at Olive Garden. Once home I laid down on the couch and fell to sleep and had the most terrific night of sleep ever. (I am usually a pretty good sleeper.) So when your Dr tells you it's time for the "scope" you what to say YES!!! with gusto because your in for a surprising treat. I just wanted you to know how much fun this procedure is so that you won't waste time sweating the small stuff like I did..

PS I don't have colon cancer either YAHOO!

4 comments:

Strykeraunt said...

LOL!! Only you would find the good in a colonoscopy!! Thanks for putting my mind to rest :D

Anonymous said...

Well you certainly make it sound like a breeze (is that for A's benefit?), I have a few years to go til I have to "scope". Maybe between now and then they will develop a wonderful non-invasive alternative to the current method. Something like a Magic Q-tip would be good. The Dr. sticks the q-tip in your ear ... super sonic, high frequency, supercalifragalistic waves travel through your body to the colon, all the while transmitting clear and concise images back to a screen. In and out of the office in ten minutes. Now I would definitely NOT sweat that kind of procedure.

Dannette

Codi Lyn said...

When my mom got hers they found a UPC thing in her colon (like the little rectangle thing with the numbers and lines on all products) and took a picture of it!! Let me tell you we had some questions for her on what she had been eating. Still don't know if it has come out yet or if it is going to stay there forever!

Mom's Blog said...

Dear Independent,
Funny!! I think??? Now I am curious. Please let us know what happens.